Director of District and School Safety
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
- Closing Date:
UNTIL FILLED   Additional Information:
|Director of District and School Safety||JobID: 2528|
TITLE: Director of District and School Safety
CLASSIFICATION: District Office Administration
REPORTS TO: Executive Director of Leadership & Learning
SUMMARY: This position will lead the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of the District’s safety plans to ensure a safe environment for students, staff, and the public.
1. Develops an all hazards approach to safety- specifically using the Emergency Management Cycle—Prevention, Preparedness, Mitigation, Response, and Recovery.
2. Leads school and district administrators in the use of the National Incident Management System and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security School Safety resources to develop safety plans, including processes for reunification and emergency communication.
3. Engages with students, staff and public to review needs and concerns, identify and resolve safety related issues, and communicate all safety plans.
4. Uses multiple sources of data to assess safety processes, identify safety risks, and establish appropriate safety standards across the District.
5. Collaborates with law enforcement, fire, medical, and emergency response personnel relating to district operations.
6. Acts as a liaison between the district and surrounding businesses, neighborhoods, first responders and other agencies regarding safety plans.
7. Researches and seeks opportunities to learn current methods, recommendations, codes, rules and regulations related to school safety.
8. Coordinates the delivery of safety, emergency response, and preparedness training, including planning, monitoring, and documenting compliance with required safety drills.
9. Leads tabletop exercises and practice of all safety plans.
10. Assists school and district administrators and student wellness staff in responding to active threats and crisis response.
11. Leads incident debriefs and continuous improvement of safety plans.
12. Collaborates with district leaders to ensure potential and identified safety risks are addressed and that plans to remedy those risks are implemented and monitored.
13. Collaborates with the Executive Director of Leadership & Learning to develop and maintain equitable systems for serious disciplinary incidents that may necessitate alternative placement, long-term suspension or expulsion.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
LICENCES OR CERTIFICATIONS:
Valid Arizona administrative certificate preferred
Valid Fingerprint Clearance Card issued by the AZ Department of Public Safety
Minimum of three (3) or more years of experience in school leadership and/or public or school safety leadership.
SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES:• Knowledge of state statute and district policy pertaining to student discipline and the District Student Code of Conduct
• Knowledge of student disciplinary procedures aligned with district policy and state statute
• Knowledge of best practice in equitable student discipline and student safety
• Skills in leading through the District’s values
• Knowledge of required emergency response drills, the National Incident Management System and U.S. Department of Homeland Security School Safety resources
• Skills in customer service principles when interacting with and responding to variety of stakeholders
• Skills in planning and facilitating training and meetings
• Effective time management and problem-solving skills
• Skills in basic, compiling, assembling, and maintaining data and documentation
• Skills in writing and revising safety manuals and documents
• Knowledge in interpreting and applying applicable policies, laws, codes, regulations, and standards
• Skills in utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with students, staff, supervisors, and the public to exchange information to provide or receive direction
WORKING CONDITIONS: The working environment is a normal office and school settings.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Twelve-month year, District Office Administration Salary Schedule, employee benefits in accordance with Board policies.
EVALUATION: Performance to be evaluated in accordance with Board policy on evaluation of classified staff.