Director of Communication and Community Engagement
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
District Office   Additional Information:
|Director of Communication and Community Engagement||JobID: 2529|
TITLE: Director of Communication and Community Engagement
REPORTS TO: Executive Director of Leadership and Learning
SUMMARY: The Communications and Community Engagement Director plays a vital role in fostering strong connections between our elementary school district and the local community. This position is responsible for developing and implementing strategic communication and marketing plans to effectively engage with various stakeholders, including parents, students, staff, and community members. The Director will utilize their expertise in communication strategies to enhance the district's reputation and promote positive relationships.
1. Promote open and positive communication between the District, schools, and the community.
2. Supervise the Communications and Community Engagement Department, ensuring alignment of work to the district’s goals and priorities.
3. Coordinate and execute community outreach such as open houses, information sessions, family engagement opportunities, and town hall meetings to foster dialogue, gather feedback, and strengthen relationships between the District, schools, and the community.
4. Develop annual media management and content marketing strategies.
5. Draft and distribute media releases, newsletters, website content and other strategic messaging.
6. Manage all communication channels, including the district's website, social media platforms, newsletters, and press releases, ensuring consistent messaging and branding.
7. Assist in crisis communication management, ensuring accurate and timely dissemination of information during emergencies or sensitive situations.
8. Manage the development, coordination, execution, and oversight of a strategic partnership program that yields strong, long-lasting partnerships with external businesses, organizations and individuals with measurable results.
9. Provide assistance to District staff in the development of media and marketing publications.
10. Develop systems for coordinating and tracking school and District events and programs, as well as employee accomplishments, for the purpose of content marketing and media promotion; regularly visit school sites for event coverage, storytelling, content marketing and other promotional purposes.
11. Serve as the District’s custodian of records for Arizona Public Information Act requests.
12. Participate in various external organizations, development and implementation of partnerships among external organizations, schools and the District.
13. Stay up-to-date with industry trends, best practices, and emerging communication technologies, and make recommendations to improve communication strategies.
14. Collect and maintain files for news articles and media notices about the District.
15. Attend Governing Board, District, and community meetings, as requested.
16. Other duties as assigned.
· Ability to use technology to design and produce District publications.
· Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in written form.
· Ability to work independently and rely on personal judgment to make decisions.
· Strong project management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and manage multiple initiatives simultaneously.
· Proficiency in using various communication tools and platforms, including content management systems, social media management tools, and graphic design software.
· English proficiency is required for completing tasks, particularly composing and preparing official District correspondence and publications.
· Bilingual English and Spanish skills are helpful but not necessary.
· Ability to explain District issues, practices, and procedures in a logical and concise manner.
· Ability to work with detail and a high degree of accuracy under pressure.
· Ability to secure and maintain the confidence of officials, employees, and the general public.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with District staff and administrators, media organizations, students, parents, agencies, and the public in a multicultural community.
· Ability to use discretion in releasing or distributing confidential information.
· Flexibility to work outside regular office hours, as needed, to attend events or handle urgent communication matters.
Bachelor’s Degree in public relations, journalism, communications, or related field and/or a combination of experience and training which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and ability required to perform the work.
Three-years of job-related professional experience.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Twelve-month year, director salary schedule, employee benefits in accordance with Board policies.
Performance to be evaluated in accordance with Board policy.
This is an outline of the position’s duties and responsibilities. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list and may change from time to time to meet the needs of the District.