19/20 SY - SPED Resource Teacher
- 19/20 SY - SPED Resource Teacher JobID: 1516
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
T.G. Barr Elementary
- Closing Date:
UNTIL FILLED   TITLE: Special Education Resource Teacher
- Special Education Resource Teachers are expected to teach students individually, in a group, and within their own classroom.
- The Special Education Teacher develops or adapts materials and teaching strategies.
- The Special Education Teacher shall assess students with long or short-term learning difficulties.
- The Special Education Teacher collaborates with other staff members: classroom teachers, psychologist, and others to identify student’s individual needs and to define appropriate curriculum-based activities to assist each student’s learning.
- Be a valuable and participatory member of the School Based Problem Solving Team to enact interventions towards student progress when referred by a teacher.
- The Special Education Teacher shall develop an Individualized Education Program (IEP) for each special education student: establish personalized goals and address each student’s abilities.
- The Special Education Teacher reviews the IEP with the student’s parents, administrators, and classroom teacher.
- The Special Education Teacher shall design and teach appropriate curricula, assign work geared toward each student’s needs and abilities. Evaluate homework and classroom assignment progress.
- The Special Education Teacher shall use patience and best practices in teaching to motivate students. Accept differences and use culturally sensitive learning interventions to acknowledge each student’s style of learning.
- The Special Education Teacher shall maintain accurate and complete student records. Prepare reports on students and activities as required by laws, policies, and administrative requirements.
- The Special Education Teacher shall meet with administrators and parents to inform them of their student’s progress.
- The Special Education Teacher shall make suggestions for home learning.
- The Special Education Teacher shall help students develop emotionally, teach socially acceptable behavior and teach daily living skills to help prepare students for increased learning and maturity.
- Teachers will prepare and implement the individual education plan (IEP) according to state/national guidelines.
- The Special Education Teacher will complete and submit substitute evaluation forms through the principal to the Human Resources Department
- Special Education Teachers are expected to provide a classroom environment which protects the health, safety and welfare of all students.
- Special Education Teachers will implement the assertive discipline approach to student discipline in all classrooms.
- Special Education Teachers will share with administrators the responsibility to provide adequate supervision of students.
- Special Education Teachers will assist in the maintenance of student records, including attendance accounting and cumulative folders.
- Special Education Teachers will share the responsibility for the care of equipment and instructional materials assigned or allocated to their classrooms and will assist administration in the maintenance of up-to-date inventory lists.
- Each Special Education Teacher may be required to participate in scheduled in-service workshops during the normal workday. Every effort will be made to have substitutes and/or administration supervise the classes of participating teachers.
- Any non-reimbursed in service program may not require teachers to stay past the normal workday.
- Each Special Education Teacher is expected to attend and participate in scheduled meetings at the unit school, not to exceed two (2) hours per month beyond the scheduled workday. Meetings may not be scheduled for Friday afternoons except in emergencies.
- Special Education Teachers selected by the REA will participate yearly in the development of in-service programs/workshops.
- Special Education Teachers are expected to maintain positive, professional relationships with parents, teachers are to communicate with parents regarding academic progress and student behavior.
- Special Education Teachers will be required to attend at least two (2) scheduled evening parent-teacher conferences at the unit school.
- Special Education Teachers will be expected to attend at least two (2) Parent-Teacher functions at the unit school in addition to the parent-teacher conferences (teachers are encouraged to attend all meetings and functions). Open House may count as one of the functions.
- Employees are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with the
effective and orderly operation of the District.
REPORTS TO: School Administrator
SUMMARY: The Special Education Resource Teacher’s basic function is to
support an inclusion environment, and work with students
individually, in small groups and within their own classroom. The
Special Education Teacher collaborates with classroom teachers,
school psychologist, and other staff. This teacher adapts curriculum,
serves as a liaison with resources, and provides assessments and
interventions based upon testing and observation. This Teacher
serves as an important member of a team, and is able to design
Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) to personalize learning goals
and make modifications and accommodations for each student.
The Special Education Teacher is expected to carry out duties and
responsibilities under the supervision and guidance of the school
principal, assistant principal and/or teacher on special assignment.
A. Implementation of Instructional Program
B. Supervision of Students
C. School Operations
D. Participation in In-Service Programs
E. Interaction with Parents
F. Interaction with Staff
Bachelor's Degree or higher
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS:
A Valid Arizona Teacher Certification
Arizona Endorsement Subject Specific
Special Education Certification
Fingerprint Clearance Card
EXPERIENCE: One year experience teaching in a Special Education classroom preferred.
WORKING CONDTIONS: The working environment is the normal classroom setting.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Nine-month year, Certified Salary Schedule, employee benefits in accordance with Board policies.
EVALUATION: Performance to be evaluated in accordance with Board policy on evaluation of certified staff.